HELLO ICELAND! DAY ONE: THE GOLDEN CIRCLE

| On
15:09:00

So it finally happened. 15 long years of dreaming of visiting Iceland, Sarah and I have finally made it. And let me tell you this: it does NOT disappoint. Iceland is the 48th country I've visited and without a doubt one of the most incredible places I've ever been to. I saw things I've never seen before, and experienced things I never even imagined. 

We drove a total of 2,140km in 7 days and saw everything from the largest ice cap in Europe, to dolphins swimming in a fjord, lava caves, elf churches, black sand beaches, puffins and the world's largest display of penises. Iceland is weird, random and freaking awesome.

Let's begin!

Our first day was spent travelling the major tourist route from Reykjavik, following The Golden Circle. First stop is Þingvellir National Park, site of the oldest existing parliament in the world (first assembled in 930AD) and also home to the canyon created by the North American and Eurasian teutonic plates.

FUN FACT 1: Þ is pronounced as "th" so Þingvellir is spoken as "Thingvellir"
FUN FACT 2: Arya and The Hound walked through the Þingvellir plates on the way to the Eyrie.

The Golden Circle also takes in Geysir and Gullfoss. We stopped at Geysir, walked around and breathed in the revolting sulphuric air while waiting for the geyser to do it's thing. It made a small eruption before we decided to give up on it and drive to Gullfoss. Look, we've both travelled a lot and no offence to the geyser at Geysir but you just weren't worth hanging around ten minutes for.

The waterfalls however, were a whole other story. LOOK AT THEM! Oh my word I've never seen so many waterfalls in any one place before. Every few kms we spotted another waterfall. But the three we saw on day one were some of the most amazing waterfalls I've ever seen in my life. First up was Gullfoss, the most famous waterfall in Iceland. Followed by Seljalandsfoss and my absolute favourite: Skogafoss.






On our way to the waterfalls Sarah discovered the Icelandic Saga Centre at Hvolsvollur which explored the mythology, legends, ocean voyages and land discoveries that make up the great and heroic Sagas of Iceland. They also had costumes.... so.... when in Iceland!




My favourite waterfall in all of Iceland: Skogafoss!




 
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment