EXPLORING THE SECRET GARDENS OF EDINBURGH

| On
15:38:00

DUNBAR CLOSE GARDEN






Edinburgh is genuinely full of surprises. You're walking down one of the busiest and most touristy streets in the city, and take a risk walking down one of the 80+ closes and then BAM you're in a 17th Century styled garden. It's so strange that in such a built up part of Old Town there are little hidden gardens that are so well maintained and beautifully designed. 

I first went to Dunbar's Close during Fringe Festival. And if there is one lesson I learned that day it's to not visit the Royal Mile during the busiest month of the year. Why did I even do this to myself? What an idiot. Anyway, the Royal Mile is an awesome area of Edinburgh, running from Edinburgh Castle to the Queen's Scottish Residence at Holyrood Palace. The Royal Mile is packed in August with wall to wall people, tourists constantly stopping to take photos, people awkwardly trying to roll their ginormous suitcases over the cobblestone streets. It's hell! I ventured down Dunbar's Close to escape a bunch of vaping Brits and it was like I was hit with a wall of tranquility and peace and serenity and QUIET. I did a bit of research later on, discovering that this area of Edinburgh was where the super wealthy folk lived in the 17th century, and the landscape designer wanted to bring some of that history back into the area. They would have had little gardens like this hidden behind the streets and away from those commoners. I found a number of them in my travels, but apparently there are still many more I need to find.

TRUNKS CLOSE




TRINITY APSE




PRINCES STREET GARDENS

OK this one is cheating. Princes Street Gardens are anything but secret, they are basically the Central Park of Edinburgh. There is no escape from this beauty, the area dividing Old Town from New Town is basically the heart of the city. It's where the Christmas Markets are held, New Years Parties, concerts, it's where the National Gallery is and of course is looked over by Edinburgh Castle. It's not secret but I'm putting it here anyway. Hey this is my blog and I'll do what I want!!!







1 comment on "EXPLORING THE SECRET GARDENS OF EDINBURGH"